We would like to introduce you to our sister site EmbracingBeauty.com! For more information check out our sister site here.

Why Caring for Ourselves is as Important as Caring for Our Families

Pin It Now! flowers
As mothers, we often pour more of ourselves into our families rather than into ourselves, and while this selflessness is nothing to sneer at, many women are feeling the tiredness associated with "giving yourself away." You don't have to avoid dressing up, going out, or pursuing something of interest solely because you are a mom. In fact, taking the time for ourselves is just what we need to be the best mothers we can be. To better take care of yourself so that you can better care for your family, consider trying some of the following:

Dressing Up

Whether you would like to adorn yourself in ruby rings or a nice cocktail dress, every woman should take the time to dress themselves up on occasion. While we all may not have the time to dress up in an elegant gown each and every day, a mom should take the time to dress herself up daily. Avoid the pony tail and sweatpants and don't be afraid to put on some make-up. Not only will you feel more like you have prepared for the day, but you also won't have that "oh my" moment when you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror.

Pursuing an Extracurricular

Have you always wanted to learn how to paint or sew? Have you wanted to learn a foreign language? Instead of sitting at home dreaming about the day that you will be able to pursue you own life passions, consider pursue one or two right now. Taking one night a week to attend a continuing education class is a great way to meet new people and to learn something new. Even joining a community sports team such as a softball or volleyball team can be great for your own morale, and your kids can come watch the games.

Insisting on Quiet Time

A quiet moment in a house full of kids is practically impossible; however, it is that silence that many mothers crave and need from time to time. Carve at least 30 minutes out of every day in which you are either able to sit and read without any distractions or are able to pray without distraction. Not only will you feel less stressed, but you will have spent precious time with the Lord.

Being a mom is hard work, and unfortunately, many moms sacrifice the time they need for themselves because of family demands. Instead of continuing to sacrifice your own well-being, hire a baby-sitter on occasion so that you can re-center and re-balance your life. Our families are the most important aspect of our lives, but they shouldn't be the only aspect. So go ahead, and take the additional time needed to care for yourself too. You may just be surprised with how energized and stress-free you feel once again.

3 comments:

Dior Lau said...

I once heard "happy cows give more milk". So true. I feel more pumped if I have a chance to go out to do something fun and relax. Moms endure lots of physical and emotional stress especially when they work.
I went through many stressful moments and situations in life because I am a single mom. I worked like crazy and finally saved up enough money to go back to school to learn something totally different from my field. I have reached a point in my life that I felt something was missing or not fulfilled and that was the reason I started making changes in my life a few years ago. Now I am still working at my regular job but I have set up my own website that I am really proud of. I feel like that I am reaching out and getting a better balance in my life, though I am still super busy. Moms are people with needs, desires and dreams like others. Finding a way to realize your dreams while raising a family is not easy but doable. One thing that keeps me alive in motherhood is the constant reminder to myself that I need to take care of myself well before I can take care of others.

MrsAshley said...

Thank you for sharing, I really appreciate it. "Happy cows give more milk," I'll have to remember that! :)

Gee Bee said...

Thanks for this great piece....Indeed a happy mum makes a happy home!...We would be able to give more love, attention and care to our kids if/when we take time out to look after ourselves. I have just shared this piece with my group as our theme in the last couple of weeks has been 'Looking After Yourself'.

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Archive

Sponsors

Advertise Here

Grab my Button

Beauty 4 Moms
Beauty4Moms PageRank